New AVChat October build 1772 introduces great new features
Hello, my name is Remus and i am a new employee at AVChat Software. I will be from now on , the main developer for AVChat 3.0 and build 1772 is my first build, and the one that helped me understand the inner workings of how it was developed so far. I hope i managed to implement a useful set of new features along with the other developers, and that we will continue to do so in the future.
Here are the major changes we did for you in this build:
- We added a new feature that allows users to filter NSFW (not safe for work) content through the setting userCanSeeNSFWContent in avc_settings.xxx. This feature has 3 types of filtering: full filter which doesn’t allow any kind of NSFW content, a more permissive filter that allows the content to be available to other users but it is hidden unless the user chooses to see it, and fully permissive filter. The feature can also be disabled altogether from avc_settings.xxx through the enableNSFWFeature setting. This will also completely remove the UI elements from the chat interface ( the checkboxes).
- We added a new feature that allows users to choose the position of the tab menu (up or down) relative to the text chat area through the setting flipTabMenu in avc_settings.xxx
- We added a new search feature to the users list which allows you to search users by username (case insensitive)
- We improved the media server logs, they now contain logs on users joining/leaving rooms, users getting kicked from rooms, users getting kicked from chat and users getting banned. This will allow site owners to better supervise the activity of their moderators.
- AVChat can now be setup to prevent duplicate usernames. A nickname can be used only once. This feature is disabled by default because we’re still getting reports of ghost users (and this will affect integrated versions) but it can be enabled from the media server settings file (settings.asc on FMS, avchat3.properties on Red5 and Wowza), just look for the uniqueUserNames setting.
- The size of the side menus for the users list, user items and webcam area, now scale accordingly to the text length.
- The names of the uploaded files on your web server through AVChat now contain the username of the uploader in them.
- We added more YouTube link support so short youtube links will also be previewed.
- Pressing enter on the login screen now has same effect as pressing the connect button. Yaay.
- Ability to choose the default state of the button that enables the sounds in chat, through the setting defaultStateTextChatSoundButton in avc_settings.xxx
- Ability to choose the default user color used in the color picker through defaultUserColor setting in avc_settings.xxx if the toggleRandomColors feature is disabled
- Added all the new phrases in en.xml for all the new features, together with fallback ones
- Updates to style.css
Here’s what’s fixed
- Fixed issue with automatically created rooms with password not working on Wowza
- Fixed issue with infinite rooms being created when auto create rooms was enabled on FMS
- Fixed issue with NSFW feature not working properly on Wowza and on private message tabs
- Fixed issue with close room button not being displayed correctly
How to download and upgrade?
You can download this new build of AVChat from your client area. As a trial user you do not yet have access to this build.
Steps to upgrade an old installation:
- overwrite all old client side files (You can keep your old language files. The missing phrases will default to English until you add them to your existing language xml file.)
- overwrite the media server files and restart the media server
If you have issues with it after upgrading make sure you clear your browser’s cache. If you still have issues after doing that send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you want us to upgrade your AVChat installation for you you can purchase our additional AVChat Installation Service from here: http://avchat.net/buy-now#services . Once you make the purchase just email us at email@example.com .
With more hands on the deck we’re preparing at least 2 major builds before Christmas.